Cowboy and Sunshine are on a high school cross country team again this year. I want to be supportive with the activities and events in their lives. So, why not show my support by running along with them? Crazy idea. One can be supportive without actually having to get in the mix.
Last night the kids were getting ready for bed and dreading this run. They are both sick with colds that have lingered. They have missed most of their summer practices. They needed motivation so I added a bonus incentive...hmm...what if mom runs too? Oh yeah, they were hooked. We all went to bed with smiles on our faces.
Then came the moment of realization for me. Exactly how long is a 5K? Can I really do this? Oh boy, what was I think'n? No, I did not sleep the greatest.
6:15 a.m. My alarm goes off. Should I let them sleep in? Maybe I should pretend my alarm didn't go off? Nah, wake them up.
6:30 a.m. They are getting up and dressed. I am really having second thoughts. After all I haven't run that distance in say 20 years or so. Hopefully the course has an ambulance on stand by, just in case.
7:00 a.m. We are registered and sporting our new $10 racing shirts and name tags. Let me just say at this point there is A LOT of spandex walking around and stretching. My new racing T-shirt and really old nylon windbreaker pants are my only choices. The tennis shoes had to be de-cow pooped just for this event.
7:30 The announcer lays out the instructions for the course, where the water truck is(yah), and most importantly the finish line. Ready, Set, GO!!!
Cowboy and Sunshine take off like African Savannah animals that know how to move. I prefer the tortoise style, slow and steady:) At the first intersection of the race a neighbor of mine who is obviously shocked to see me jogs along side and we discuss virtual piano lessons via Skype. She moved five months ago and the Kiddos have been without a teacher. It was a quick conversation as she was in the middle of a garage sale and I was running out of air to talk. I like to multitask so apparently a 5K can be combined with setting up piano lessons for the kids.
The first quarter of the race was uphill. Blah! I walked twice. I discovered I do have some pride. I wasn't about to let the Sheriff catch me walking. Not that he cared, but I did. I past Sunshine going up hill. I think she took off too fast at the start and wore herself out. Cowboy was so far in front I couldn't see him in with the other runners.
Once at the top of the hill it got easier. The water truck was down hill and the marker for the halfway point. It was a welcome sight and too short a relief. Since, I didn't die in the first half I thought I could try the second half of the race. Thankfully the next quarter of the race was still downhill:)
The last quarter of the race was uphill. So not fair! Why couldn't they have marked out an all downhill race? I walked for just a few seconds to get my wits together. The black spandex in front of me must of had the same thoughts as it walked too. Then of all things black spandex could hear me coming up behind with all my gasping for breath and it took of jogging. Drat! I jogged along behind trying to keep up.
Good news...I finished with a time of 31.41, the last stretch seemed really uphill. It was not one of those TV moments where the people are screaming and chanting for you. It was a lungs are burning and did they move the finish line further back cause this is going to take forever finish. I was cheered on by the few supporters along side the course. That helped keep the motivation going especially when my legs felt like overcooked spaghetti noodles.
I had a few goals for this race.
1. Support the kids
2. Finish with a heartbeat
3. Run under 40 minutes
4. Beat one person in black spandex. (This was a last minute goal as I discovered that people seemed to think it will make them run faster. I wanted to prove that theory wrong. Oh Yes, cow-pooped tennis shoes and old windbreaker pants can beat some of you.)
I did accomplish all four goals.
Kids were impressed I ran.
My heart was definitely beating at the finish line, thundering or pounding would be a better description.
A 31.41 time, yah less than 40 minutes.
And I finished 10 minutes before the next pair of black spandex legs, woot woot!
Cowboy ran 27.02 and Sunshine was 33.49. Not bad for being sick. We should all sleep great tonight! Walking tomorrow will be optional!
No comments:
Post a Comment